Do you freak out by seeing your inbox? Are you among those who receive large number of mails? Does it take half of your working time to organize your mails? If yes, then you surely need to use the ‘filters’ option by Yahoo! Mail. The second most used emailing service offers this convenient option to manage email messages easily. Filters allow managing incoming emails automatically based on pre-defined criteria (which will be set by you.) Let’s see how you can create filters and manage your emails even before you see them.
- Open your web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer) and type yahoo.com in the address bar.
- Click on the ‘Sign in’ button at top right corner. You will be redirected to sign in page (shown in the next step.)
- Log into your account with your valid email id and password.
- In your mailbox, at the top right corner, find gear icon (see the red arrow in the figure below.) Hover your mouse over the icon and select ‘Settings.’
- In the page that follows, select ‘Filters’ option from the left side panel.
- Click on the ‘Add’ button in the right side panel to add a filter (see the picture below.)
- ‘Add a new filter’ window will appear; give a suitable name (WorkEmails in the image below) to the filter. Set the required conditions by choosing from ‘contains’, ‘does not contain’, ‘begins with’, ‘ends with’ filters.
- Let’s see some examples of setting filters:
- Suppose you want the emails from particular email id to go to a particular folder. Then in the ‘From’ field select ‘contains’ and type that email id in the next field.
- Let’s have one more example: In this scenario, you want all the emails with ‘application’ word in the subject to move to a different folder. So in the ‘Subject’ field, select ‘contains’ and write the word ‘application’ in the box next to it.
- Make sure that ‘match case’ box is unchecked.
- Select the move to folder from drop down. You need to create folders before applying filters if you want separate folders. Click ‘Save.’
- You will be back on the ‘Settings’ window. The filter you have just created (WorkEmails) will be visible on the right side (you can edit or remove it through the respective buttons after selecting the filter.)
- Click ‘Save’ again to complete the process.
Please note that filters cannot be created in Yahoo! Mail’s basic (classic) version. However, you can use them in the basic version. So, you need to switch to new version, create filter and then use them in both versions.
Still have any doubts? Contact Yahoo support services for complete assistance.