Email accounts being hacked and users’ personal information being stolen are the dark sides of emailing service. This brings a sense of insecurity among users. With increasing cases of cyber scams (Yahoo scam being recent), every email service is trying to provide extra security to its users. A two-step verification feature is one such service.
Here is how you can activate the Two-step security verification feature in Windows Live Mail along with some other tips.
Two-step verification helps in protecting your account even if the hacker gets your password. It asks for a security code along with your account password whenever you log in for the first time through a new device. And, this security code is sent to your mobile number or email address. So, the hacker can’t enter your account. Now let’s see how you can add this feature to your Windows Live Mail account:
- Sign in to your Windows Live Mail account and go to ‘Security settings’.
- Under two-step verification, select ‘set up two-step verification.’ This will turn the feature on.
- Just follow the simple on-screen instructions and complete the process.
- Now, sign–in again to check if the two-step verification is working fine.
Other Security Solutions
- Keep a unique password for different online services. Don’t use a single password for two services.
- Whenever you notice any suspicious activity in your account, change your password immediately.
- Don’t add unknown contacts to your account.
- Don’t store your password at places which are easily accessible by others.
- Before opening an email that appears to be from a friend, right-click the email and select properties. Here you can check the email address of the true sender. If it’s unfamiliar, don’t open the email; just send it to the junk folder.
- Clean all the messages that have personal information from your inbox and trash.
- Set a strong junk filter to restrict junk emails from entering into your inbox.
- Report junk/spam emails to Microsoft.
- Add suspicious senders to the Blocked addresses list. Make sure you block the true email address.
Get in touch with Windows Live Mail technical support team to get more tips on security. Apart from this, we also offer assistance for other email issues. Our 24 hours service allows users to get quick solutions for all issues from Microsoft-certified professionals. Dial the toll-free number, write an email or join the live chat session.